As much as I hate certain aspects of the house, I love so many.
We did a lot of work after closing to make our home feel a bit more custom and what we wanted.
In the Normandy, the pantry is ridiculous.
I don't know how they think a family of 5+ (which is the appropriate bedrooms to people ratio) could use that TINY little pantry.
My husband had the idea to close off the passway to the mudroom-ish area and then design the inside the way we wanted.
Pinterest and I had a date and I found a photo and then modified it to meet my needs a little more.
The next project I knew I HAD to have was the coffered ceiling.
The model home had a very ... umm ... faux type ... coffered ceiling. While it was interesting, I knew I wanted something more, plus, it wasn't even an option (SHOCKER) for Ryan to do. (Another frustrating thing they do. Why show us options that aren't even available?)
Annnnyway, I went to my trusty favorite site, Pinterest! I started to look for the depth I liked and the options. It was actually my color designer from Sherwin Williams (who I love) that picked out the color for the ceiling.
We did a BRIGHT shiny white for the wood and inside is Sherwin Williams Black Fox - 7020
The walls are MINDFUL GRAY - SW7016.
So here's a photo (we were watching Thor and I love him so I didn't take a new photo ;) )
We love the shadow box thing in the dining room. It's super pretty and classy. However, I'm the least traditional person ever.
So, I decided to go with a little bit more of a contemporary feel with the woodwork. I did the same very bright white from Benjamin Moore and we added the crown molding (again, Ryan Homes had it in the model AND they told us it was standard ... but it's not).
The top is: BLUSTERY SKY - SW9140
For the windows, we did the extra top molding for the formal dining.
Regarding the windows, we did do the molding on each one. I hated the unfinished look of the windows without any molding.
TIP: DURING THE BUILD, tell the framers to leave 3 inches on each side of the window sill. Otherwise, you'll need to replace the sill. We knew this was going to happen the day after close, so we did this and it saved us a ton.
Annnd the last thing ...
I knew I wanted a mud room area. The wall that we closed off gave us that perfect spot.
We measured out the space and then I knew I wanted the bench part to match the floor and the barn door area.
We've since put hooks up and the cubbies are filled with crap which is why I picked an older photo, which is also prompting me to now make this my weekend project.
Mostly, the carpentry we did was the extra crown molding in the entire house, every window had the casing added, coffered ceiling, mudroom, and the pantry.
We were really fortunate our painter is also a carpenter and the undertaking wasn't too much for him. Everything was done to a really quality and I'm honestly REALLY happy we did it after the build so that it was done exactly to my preferences.